1 The heavens tell about the glory of God. The skies show that his hands created them. 2 Day after day they speak about it. Night after night they make it known. 3 But they don’t speak or use words. No sound is heard from them. 4 At the same time, their voice goes out into the whole earth. Their words go out from one end of the world to the other. God has set up a tent in the heavens for the sun. 5 The sun is like a groom coming out of the room where he spent his wedding night. The sun is like a great runner who takes delight in running a race. 6 It rises at one end of the heavens. Then it moves across to the other end. Nothing can hide from its heat. 7 The law of the Lord is perfect. It gives us new strength. The laws of the Lord can be trusted. They make childish people wise. 8 The rules of the Lord are right. They give joy to our hearts. The commands of the Lord shine brightly. They give light to our minds. 9 The law that brings respect for the Lord is pure. It lasts forever. The directions the Lord gives are true. All of them are completely right. 10 They are more priceless than gold. They have greater value than huge amounts of pure gold. They are sweeter than honey that is taken from the honeycomb. 11 I am warned by them. When I obey them, I am greatly rewarded. 12 Can I know my mistakes? Forgive my hidden faults. 13 Keep me also from the sins I want to commit. May they not be my master. Then I will be without blame. I will not be guilty of any great sin against your law. 14 Lord, may the words of my mouth and the thoughts of my heart be pleasing in your eyes. You are my Rock and my Redeemer.
This Psalm shows us that God reveals Himself in two different ways. One is by His creation and the other is by His words.
By His creation: (Apostle Paul referred to this psalm in book Romans 1:19-20)
- Heavens and skies declare the glory of God, day after day, night after night.
- They don’t speak or have a voice, but the message of God’s creation is abundantly spread into the whole earth.
- God pitched a tent for the sun in the heavens – it rises in one end & moves to the other.
- Nothing is hidden from its heat.
By God’s words:
- God’s word is perfect, trustworthy, right, radiant, pure and true.
- God’s word can revive us, make us wise, give joy to the heart, gives light to the mind.
- God’s word is more precious than pure gold and sweeter than honey.
- God’s word warns us and there is great reward in keeping it.
- God’s word make us clean from secret evil.
My challenge is God already revealed Himself to the world from the beginning. How can I ignore His revelation and not keep His words
in mind deeply?
Dear Lord, you have revealed yourself in many ways. Help me to “see” your glory when I raise my eyes to the sky and follow your “Law” when I look down and read your scriptures.
Written by Allen Leu