Tuesday 17 December, 2013
26 In the sixth month of Elizabeth’s pregnancy, God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a town in Galilee, 27 to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendant of David. The virgin’s name was Mary. 28 The angel went to her and said, “Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you.” 29 Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. 30 But the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God. 31 You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus. 32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, 33 and he will reign over Jacob’s descendants forever; his kingdom will never end.” 34 “How will this be,” Mary asked the angel, “since I am a virgin?” 35 The angel answered, “The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God. 36 Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age, and she who was said to be unable to conceive is in her sixth month. 37 For no word from God will ever fail.” 38 “I am the Lord’s servant,” Mary answered. “May your word to me be fulfilled.” Then the angel left her.
- Elizabeth’s relative –News of Elizabeth’s miracle would have been an encouragement. God knits people together in his plans.
- A teenager. Godly. Jewish. She may have heard about the coming Messiah of virgin birth.
- She’s from a small rural town called Nazareth.
- She is a virgin and engaged to married to Joseph. This news was not in her life plan.
- She is highly favoured. And she can’t fathom that her Nazarene young life would be looked at and called favoured.
- Her responses are a great example of faith.
- She was troubled. A calling might be intimidating, but “Do not be afraid.”
- She asked “How?” Her question is without unbelief. Zechariah questioned with unbelief and seeking proof. She believes but is after some understanding.
- She accepts, receives, trusts. She instantly drops her life plan to accept God’s plan, resulting in a spectacular life, “blessed among women”.
“For no word from God will ever fail.” Lk1:37
I remember that I am favoured too because God has shown me grace – His unmerited favour.
Where am I resisting God’s call and holding onto the ideas and plans I have for my life, instead of surrendering to what He wants for me?
What words has he spoken over me? They will not fail. They will prosper.
I am Your servant. May it be to me according to Your word. Lk 1:38
Written by Lyndall Goulay
Thanks Lyndal I love it. Marys life is truly an encouragement for me to to get to know God better so I too can ask questions for understanding not because of my lack of faith in a God who created the universe.
When a baby is conceived the baby’s blood type is a combination of factors from the mother and father’s blood type.
I always wondered what Jesus’ blood type is!