67 John’s father Zechariah was filled with the Holy Spirit. He prophesied, 68 “Give praise to the Lord, the God of Israel! He has come to his people and purchased their freedom. 69 He has acted with great power and has saved us. He did it for those who are from the family line of his servant David. 70 Long ago holy prophets said he would do it. 71 He has saved us from our enemies. We are rescued from all who hate us. 72 He has been kind to our people of long ago. He has remembered his holy covenant. 73 He made a promise to our father Abraham. 74 He promised to save us from our enemies. Then we could serve him without fear. 75 He wants us to be holy and godly as long as we live. 76 “And you, my child, will be called a prophet of the Most High God. You will go ahead of the Lord to prepare the way for him. 77 You will tell his people how they can be saved. You will tell them that their sins can be forgiven. 78 All of that will happen because our God is tender and caring. His kindness will bring the rising sun to us from heaven. 79 It will shine on those living in darkness and in the shadow of death. It will guide our feet on the path of peace.” 80 The child grew up, and his spirit became strong. He lived in the desert until he appeared openly to Israel.
After Zechariah’s mouth was opened, he praised God immediately, he was filled with Holy Spirit and made a song/prophecy about the Savior of Israel that is coming.
In his song/ prophecy, he mentioned few things:
- Praise be to the Lord, the God of Israel, because
- He has come to his people and redeemed them.
- He has risen up a horn of salvation for them in the house of his servant David.
- He saves his people from their enemies and from the hand of all who hate them.
- He shows mercy to his ancestors by remembering his holy covenant,the oath he swore to their father Abraham.
- He rescues his people from the hand of their enemies,
- He enables his people to serve him without fear in holiness and righteousness before him all our days.
- Prophesy his son John,
- will be called a prophet of the Most High.
- will go on before the Lord to prepare the way for him.
- gives his people the knowledge of salvation through the forgiveness of their sins, because of the tender mercy of our God.
What an awesome song Zechariah made! Did he fully understand how much impact would happen from the words of his mouth? The book James said: Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing.
Dear Lord, thank you for your mercy and love by sending your only Son Jesus Christ to save my life. Help me to use my mouth to praise your name all the time. Amen.
Written by Allen Leu