45 While all the people were listening, Jesus said to his disciples, 46 “Beware of the teachers of the law. They like to walk around in flowing robes and love to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces and have the most important seats in the synagogues and the places of honor at banquets. 47 They devour widows’ houses and for a show make lengthy prayers. These men will be punished most severely.”
Jesus was never afraid. He told it like it was. He clearly sounded out His expectation of those who lead and those who follow Him.
“Within earshot of ALL the people, Jesus warns the disciples….”.
I don’t know about you, but I am a “backrow” girl, when I was at school and I still prefer to sit at the back. However, I don’t really have that option now, so what do I do? I have to make a choice about a few things.
1. I am not in church to tick a box, or to been seen.
2. I attend church out of obedience, to worship my God with His family and to listen and learn from Him. So whether I sit in the front or the back doesn’t matter.
3. I have to make a choice not to be intimidated or feel self-conscious. I choose to worship Him wholeheartedly, with my mouth, my song, my body and all that I am.
4. I don’t want to become religious. I want to be like a child, awaiting what God has for me each week. Expectant in my heart.
5. I am desperate and so in need of His presence and His peace. Church = gathering together brings that to me. I am strengthened each time I am with His body.
6. I desire to be changed by Him – when I worship the songs speak to my heart and bring freedom as I declare His promises.
Jesus tells us not to neglect meeting together. He knows what we need.
Lord, I love you and want to become more like you. Help me Lord to be transformed by your Holy Spirit. Keep my ears and eyes open to your word. Change me to make me more like you.
Written by Ps. Sue Botta