Day 41 (4 Apr 2020) – The envy trap
1) Proverbs 14:30 (NIV) 2) Ecclesiastes 4:4 (MSG)
1) A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones. 2) Then I observed all the work and ambition motivated by envy. What a waste! Smoke. And spitting into the wind.
We have a lovely garden however it requires work, we prune, fertilise, remove weeds, etc. The Bible is all about “bearing fruit”. Godly men and women are growing a tree that bears life-giving fruit, and all who win souls are wise. Prov 11:30 (TLB)
God is not happy with fruitless trees or diseased trees. We need to examine the fruit of our lives: if we are critical, negative, complaining, envious, selfish, or bad tempered. This is not the fruit of the Spirit at work.
God’s fruit is divine love, overflowing joy, enduring peace, virtuous patience, kindness in action, faith that prevails, gentleness of heart, strength of spirit and self-control.
Galatians 5 v 13 – “Freedom means that we become so completely free of self-indulgence that we become servants of one another, expressing love in all we do”.
For us to bear fruit we need more water (His Presence) and we need to change the fertiliser (God word)
I grew up always comparing myself to others. How did I change this?
· I asked God to change my heart – help me see people as Jesus sees them.
· Get an attitude of gratitude – so many things to be thankful for. I begin my day and prayer time thanking God.
· I got a new set of glasses – see people the way Jesus does. Asking God to bless others, even my “enemies”.
· I stopped comparing myself to others. I became happy with who I was.
Dear Lord, help me to bring your love and grace to others. Help my where I am bitter or envious to see people as you see them. I have not journeyed their road. Help me to become the person you want me to be, not comparing myself to others but running the race you have set before me
Written by Ps. Sue Botta
Thanks Sue. A good reminder to run a check on my own heart and decide to step into who god wants mr to be.