Day 42 (5 Apr 2020) – The people pleaser trap
Proverbs 29:25 (GNT); 2) Galatians 1:10 (NLT)
1) It is dangerous to be concerned with what others think of you, but if you trust the Lord, you are safe. 2) Obviously, I’m not trying to win the approval of people, but of God. If pleasing people were my goal, I would not be Christ’s servant.
I am completely qualified to comment on this subject. If there is a Master’s Degree in people pleasing I would be the lecturer!
Living for other people’s approval of us is insidious, and cunning. It makes us lie to save face. It permeates our thoughts and affects our moods. It steals our happiness and stunts our potential. Lord, please help me – how do I stop?!
Deciding to stop being a people pleaser isn’t going to work. The writer of Proverbs had it right – “if you trust the Lord…”
- I must direct my need of approval toward Him – find it in Him and only Him. Practically, I can do this by asking him for help – “Lord, please help me find my approval in You!”
- I need to constantly remember my testimony – how God saved me and what a miracle that was. To think about the staggering effort and man-power He expended to save me.
- I need to remember Jesus died on the cross for me. This proves I have Gods approval – look at what it cost Him!
- I need to throw myself into the purpose that God saved me for.
And suddenly, I’m not concerned with the approval of others – I’m delighting in the approval God has already given me. And now, unexpectedly, I’m excited about the purpose he has planned for my life.
Lord, I’m standing on the precipice of a life unimaginable. I know what on earth I’m here for – I see it before me! I’m going to jump. And as I do I see you standing next to me, smiling. I know I’ll be ok because you’re jumping with me. I’m so thankful Jesus – you are all I want, you are all I need. Let’s go!
Written by Boudy Van Noppen
Thanks B for your thoughts on this. Let’s trust the Lord and seek Him and His plans.
Wow, I can believe that its been 42 days of this! Its been AMAZING and so transformative.
Its so true that along the way, one of the prime distractions from God’s plan and purpose is trying to please people.
Thank you Lord that your word enables us to have an anchor to your intentions.
Great thoughts – this is such a huge bear pit of a trap – Father deliver me!
Serving Christ is usually incompatible with people’s expectations – from not being available for sunday sport or giving him back the only he has blessed me with , none of it fits the approval of others. Thank you B for the reminder to trust in Him, in everything. He has given everything to show me his approval, his very own Son.